Closing Checklist For Your New Home
- Select attorney to conduct closing of your new Greenville area home. If one of the purchaser’s will not be able to attend the closing, you will need to have the attorney prepare a Power Of Attorney so the party that does attend the closing can sign for both. Please notify the attorney if you will need this done.
- Fax copy of signed contract to your mortgage company. You will have 5 days from the date of the contract to FULLY apply for your mortgage. Notify them of closing date and time and the name of the attorney that will conduct the closing.
- Select home inspector. Schedule home inspection. Typically done within 5 days of contract date.
- If applicable, select termite inspection company.
- Obtain homeowners insurance for your new home. Notify insurance agent of the closing date and attorney that will conduct closing. Ensure the agent will get insurance information to the attorney 10 days prior to closing.
- Within 15 days of the date of the contract, submit list of requested repairs. Seller will have 5 days to respond.
- At least 10 days prior to closing call all utility companies to have the utilities transferred to your name as of the date of closing. Do not wait until the last minute. Follow up with each company the week prior to closing to make sure everything is set.
- Final walk through of your home is normally done the day prior to closing.
- The attorney will generate a final closing statement 1 or 2 days prior to closing. This statement will show the exact amount you will need to bring to closing in the form of a certified funds check made out to the attorney. If you will be coming from out of town and do not have a local bank, you will need to get the wiring instructions from the closing attorney so that your bank can wire the funds to the attorney.
I want the closing of your home to go smoothly, and if these steps are followed, we can eliminate the typical stress involved. I am always a phone call away and will be working with you closely during the closing process.
Eddy Kicker & Associates